Water Treatment Plant » Winter Weather Tips
Winter Weather Tips
Frozen Meters and Water Lines
During freezing weather, BE PREPARED! Follow these tips to save the cost and inconvenience of repairing or replacing frozen water lines or water meters:
- Insulate exposed pipes and faucets
- Place a light close to the meter if it is inside the property
- Let a small stream of water flow from the faucet if temperatures fall below 10 degrees F
- Open cupboard doors in kitchen and bathroom to allow warm air to circulate around pipes.
Winterize your property if it is to be unoccupied for any length of time:
- Turn off shut-off valve
- Turn off water heater
- Drain indoor and outdoor faucets
- Flush toilets ONCE to drain tank but not the bowl
- Leave at least minimal heat to help keep pipes from freezing in exterior walls
Thawing Frozen Interior Pipes
Always turn the main valve off first. Do not use an open flame to thaw pipes – a hair dryer is effective. There is a charge for the Water Department to come out to thaw a meter that IS NOT frozen. Make a thorough check of your entire network before calling for assistance.